This is my current state of servers, there has been generations & servers built. But with virtualization & my discovery of hypervisors I managed to down size & shrink my home-lab environment into 2 machines.
Vidas is my main server name built on The Fractal Define R5 case & has the following components:
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700x 8/16
- Motherboard: Asus X370 Prime
- Memory: 4x8GB Corsair LPX 3200 running @ 3000 (15-16-16-16-35)
- PSU: Corsair 1000W RMi
- Case: Fractla Define R5 with With Noctua 140mm Fans
- Storage: 4x8TB Seagate Ironwolf, with a total of 24TB of protected storage.
- Unassigned: 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Samsung 512 840 Pro, Samsung 256 840 Pro, Sandisk MX 400 256 M.2. These drives are used for VMs, caching & other utilizations by the VMs & dockers.
- OS: UNraid.
My backup File server which was at some point my main server is an i7-4930K with 6 cores & 122 threads, installed on an Asus x79 Sabertooth motherboard loaded with 4x8GB DDR4 1866MHz. There are some manufacturing issues with this board & some broken PCIe & RAM slots, this is why it got side lined in addition to higher power consumption in comparison to a modern Ryzen CPU.
This system is mainly used for monthly backups & only has 3x4TB Seagate Ironwolf drives with a total of 8TB of protected storage mainly used to backup essential data.